Home > Sabah
100 Teams Expected For Dragon Boat Race
Susan (seated third from left) with other members of the organising committee during the first technical meeting.
March 20th, 2017 | 08:24 AM | 975 views
More than 100 teams from overseas and Malaysia will be taking part in the 4th Sabah FCAS International Dragon Boat Race on May 13-14 this year.
The organizing committee of the event has held its first technical meeting, and the first training session will kickstart on April 1.
The training sessions will be held daily until May 11 daily from 9am to 6pm at two venues, namely Sutera Harbour Marina Club here and Kampung Gayang in Tuaran.
Dragon boat teams that wish to take part in the race may contact Glorina Yu at 016-8218488, Victor Ting at 016-8279675 or Zachary at 013-8504007 at the race secretariat for registration and boat booking.
All outstation and international participating teams have to arrive here by May 11 (Thursday) in order to attend the May 12 (Friday) 9am team managers briefing.
During the briefing, there will be draw of race lane, distribution of T-shirts and team tags as well as group photo sessions at the Sutera Harbour Marina Club Theatre.
There will be a Beach Party Welcoming Dinner on May 12 at 6pm at Likas Bay.
The Federation of Chinese Associations Sabah (FCAS), which organises the annual event, reminds all participating teams to bring their own paddles and life jackets.
It is compulsory for all participants to have life jackets, and the specifications of the paddles shall comply with the requirements sanctioned by the International Dragon Boat Federation (IDBF) and European Dragon Boat Federation (EDBF).
Racing paddles should have minimum length of 105cm and maximum length of 130cm.
The 4th Sabah FCAS International Dragon Boat Race 2017 Heats Race will be held on May 13 (Saturday), where all participating teams must line up in front of the main stage at 6.30am at Likas Bay for the Sportsmen Oath Taking Ceremony before proceeding for the heats.
The Final Race Day will be May 14 (Sunday) from 7am to noon at Likas Bay.
The opening ceremony will be graced by Head of State Tun Datuk Seri Panglima (Dr) Haji Juhar Bin Datuk Haji Mahiruddin with Chief Minister Datuk Seri Panglima Musa Haji Aman as a special guest.
The prize presentation ceremony will take place around 11.30am.
The first technical meeting chaired by the organizing chairlady Datuk Susan Wong was attended by race director Datuk Balwant Singh Kler, assistant race director Zachary Mobijohn, vice organizing chairman Fung Chun Fatt, Sabah Amateur Radio Society (SARS) representatives Roslan and Jannette, Sabah Tshung Tsin Secondary School Timekeeper Team representative Yee Kok Wai, Godfrey Yin of Freycraft Marine Industries, Sea Race Lane setup person-in-charge Shim Yun Shing, Boat Towing person-in-charge Omar Baki Aliakbar and organizing committee members Dennis Gan, Glorina Yu and Victor Ting.
The various categories of the dragon boat race are as folows:
1) Sabah Head of State Trophy (800 Meters) International & Top Malaysian Men Teams, Cash prize for 1st prize is RM10,000 / 2nd prize RM5,000 / 3rd prize RM2,000;
2) Sabah Chief Minister’s Trophy (800 Meters) Malaysia Men’s Teams, Cash prize for 1st prize is RM4,000 / 2nd prize RM2,000 / 3rd prize RM1,000;
3) Sabah FCAS Dragon Trophy (800 Meters & Minimum 8 women) International & Malaysian mix teams, Cash prize for 1st prize is RM8,000 / 2nd prize RM4,000 / 3rd prize RM2,000;
4) FCAS Trophy (800 Meters & Minimum 6 women) Local Kota Kinabalu Chinese Communities Associations mix team, Cash prize for 1st prize is RM3,000 / 2nd prize RM2,000 / 3rd prize RM1,000;
5) FCAS Trophy (800 Meters) Local Sabah Chinese Men’s Teams, Cash prize for 1st prize is RM3,000 / 2nd prize RM2,000 / 3rd prize RM1,000;
6) FCAS Trophy (800 Meters & minimum 8 women) Local Sabah Chinese Mix Teams, Cash prize for 1st prize is RM3,000 / 2nd prize RM2,000 / 3rd prize RM1,000;
7) Kinabalu Dragon Trophy (800 Meters) Junior boys team under 20 years old Born on or after 1st January 1997, Cash prize for 1st prize is RM3,000 / 2nd prize RM2,000 / 3rd prize RM1,000;
8) Kinabalu Dragon Trophy (200 Meters) International & Malaysian Men’s Team open, Cash prize for 1st prize is RM3,000 / 2nd prize RM2,000 / 3rd prize RM1,000;
9) Kinabalu Dragon Trophy (200 Meters & Minimum 4 women) International & Malaysian Mix Team open, Cash prize for 1st prize is RM3,000 / 2nd prize RM2,000 / 3rd prize RM1,000.
courtesy of THE BORNEO POST
by BORNEO POST
If you have any stories or news that you would like to share with the global online community, please feel free to share it with us by contacting us directly at [email protected]