Kota Kinabalu: Spa and reflexology outlets in Sabah will no longer be allowed to hire Filipinas from January next year.
Immigration Department Director Datuk Mohammad Mentek said the regulation follows a decision by the State Government in view of the numerous complaints, particularly on Filipinas working in the sector.
"For how long we cannot say but we will monitor the situation because we have received complaints on immoral activities, particularly involving these nationals," he said, adding that there are 864 spa and reflexology workers, a majority of them Filipinas, followed by those from China, Indonesia and Thailand.
He said this after attending a State Immigration level Tilawah Al Quran event jointly organised by the Sabah Immigration Women Welfare Association (Perkis) and the Sabah Immigration Recreation Club (Kris), here, Friday night.
On another development, he said applications for spa and reflexology work quota need to be completed within six months effective January next year.
"The time given to complete the quota as approved by the Chief Minister's Department was previously two years but effective January next year, the time frame given is only six months.
"If they fail to do so within the time frame given, then whatever balance quota they have would be cancelled and they have to apply again," he said.
He said even now, many spa and reflexology operators tend to ask for as many workers as possible because they could then fill the quota up but the department considers two years as too long.
"What would happen if, in the second year, they ask for extension of one year because the maximum is only two years. So it's like a loop, a never-ending quota because they keep on extending the quota, thus, we need to control the entry of foreigners working in this sector.
"Based on information received, some of these operators have been supplying spa workers to the peninsula because they have frozen the quota there, so we don't allow them especially spa and reflexology workers to go there because they might be working there."
On another note, he reminded employers and employment agencies that its 3+1 Programme to legalise foreign workers would end on Nov 30 and will not be extended.
"Applications must be submitted to us before 5pm on Nov 30 and any application after that would not be entertained," he said.--Courtesy of The Daily Express