Bandar Seri Begawan - Some 1,000 people will be taking part in a mass 'Hijrah Walkathon' being held simultaneously across all four districts on November 15 - as a symbolic gesture to commemorate the journey of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and followers from Mecca to Medina around 600 CE - on the first day of the new year 1434 Hijrah.
In conjunction with the walkathon, Hadrah performances by members of three mosque youth groups will accompany the participants during their walk between the main areas of focus - Kampong Bunut Mosque in Jalan Tutong and the Duli Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Damit Mosque in Jln Bebatik-Kilanas, which will be led by the Minister of Religious Affairs after conducting warm-up aerobics.
The Director of Mosque Affairs, Awg Hj Abd Kahar bin Hj Hussin in a press conference explained that the walkathon is symbolic of the prophet's journey.
Meanwhile, donations will be collected during the event, 30 per cent of which will be channelled to the Orphans Fund and the remaining 70 per cent to the Mosque Takmir Fund.
Out of the 1,000 participants, 110 participants from the second 'Multaqa Mosque Youth' assembly group, will also take part in a 'Riadah Hijrah'.
The walkathon will commence with a mass Subuh prayer followed by a religious lecture presented by Awg Hj Saharuddin bin Hj Petra of the Department of Islamic Studies and is entitled 'Umat Bertakwa Negara Berkat', which will take place at Kg Bunut Mosque.
Awg Hj Abd Kahar said that the public may join both the pre-walkathon activity and the walkathon itself, which will start at 6am.
In the Belait District, the walkathon is expected to be led by the Belait District Officer and will start and finish at Zainab Mosque in Lumut.
In the Tutong District, the walkathon will be led by the district officer and will take place between Kg Sinaut Mosque and the Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah Mosque in Kg Sungai Kelugos.
In the Temburong District, the walkathon is expected to be led by the Temburong District Officer and will take place between Kampong Labu Mosque and the Surau of Kg Piasau-Piasau.--Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin