Kuala Belait - A Massive fire engulfed a rented house at Jalan Tengah in the heart of Kuala Belait yesterday at around 4pm injuring one male who was brought to the Suri Seri Begawan Hospital for treatment.
A team of firefighters from the Belait Fire and Rescue Station led by the Station Commander Assistant Superintendent (ASFR) Zulkeflee rushed to control and extinguish the blaze, which had also caused damages to a nearby house.
The Brunei Shell Fire and Emergency Response (BSP FAERS) team led by the Chief Fire Officer (CFO) Hamdani also assisted in controlling the mishap while the Kuala Belait Police Force helped to prevent overcrowding at the site.
One of the tenants told the Bulletin that she heard screams from the upper floor where the fire had begun. "The landlord started shouting 'Fire' repeatedly so I quickly grabbed my two daughters and exited the home. Unfortunately, my personal belongings and documents were destroyed in the blaze but all of us managed to escape in the nick of time," she said.
The fire was under control after 30 minutes but the landlord's son, in his 50s, was injured in the mishap after attempting to rescue his 70-year-old mother from the burning house. He suffered burns to his face and back but is currently receiving treatment in the hospital.
It is suspected that the unfortunate incident was caused by an electrical fault. The Operation 'B' Fire Prevention Unit is currently investigating the case including the estimated loss from the fire. The Department of Electrical Services (DES) personnel also discontinued power supply along the road to prevent any untoward episodes from occurring.
YB Awang Hj Mohd Yusof bin Dulamin, Belait District Legislative Council member, Belait District Officer Awang Hj Haris bin Hj Othman and Hj Pungut bin Ali, Penghulu of Mukim Belait witnessed the mishap unfold as the fire gutted the home and damaged two vehicles including those at the nearby home.
--Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin