Kuala Belait - A Workshop that housed wooden planks and furniture making machines was burnt down to the ground when it caught in ablaze during the wee hours of yesterday.
Seria Fire Station received a distress call at 1.03am and sent out three fire engines and 11 Fire and Rescue personnel to the scene at Kg Badas Seria, led by Seria Station Officer Lee Ah Sing.
Once the Fire and Rescue personnel arrived at the scene, the fire had already engulfed the workshop but they managed to prevent the fire from spreading to a house nearby. The firefighters managed to control the blaze within 10 minutes.
Also present at the scene was Wan Julaini bin Wan Ibrahim, Assistant Superintendent of the Fire and Rescue Department and Public Relations, Prevention and Fire Inspection Officer of Operation 'B'.
The estimated loss totalled B$166,800 and the fire is believed to have originated from a wire short circuit from the electric distribution box inside the workshop.
The Fire and Rescue Department meanwhile advised the public to ensure that the electrical goods inside their premises are in good condition by conducting regular checks and ensuring that they only wiring that has been approved by the Department of Electrical Services is being used.
Furthermore, old wiring systems must be replaced with new ones.
--Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin